Creamy, flavorful zucchini mushroom pasta is great for a quick and easy dinner, whether it's date night or a make-ahead meal that you're meal-prepping!
This zucchini mushroom pasta takes weeknight meals up a notch with creamy ricotta, zesty lemons, and crisp white wine. The veggies pack a nutritious punch - providing vitamin A, C, D, and K, in addition to potassium, folate, iron and calcium.
It's a perfect dish to make for a date night at home - the best part is you don't have to spend all night cooking - it takes less than 30 minutes!
- Pasta: I prefer cavatappi in this recipe, but feel free to use whatever shape pasta you have on hand.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms add a slight earthiness to this recipe. This recipe calls for baby bella mushrooms, but you can also use white mushrooms.
- Zucchini: You can use any size zucchini in this recipe because it gets chopped, so the size doesn't matter - the recipe calls for 1 large (or 2 small-medium) zucchini.
- Lemon juice and zest: Lemon juice adds onto the acidity of the white wine, while the lemon zest adds a brightness to this pasta.
- White wine: A dry white wine like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or unoaked Chardonnay would be best to cook with.
- Ricotta cheese: For all the creamy deliciousness in this pasta, you can thank the ricotta cheese. You can use part-skim or full-fat, whichever you prefer!
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend using a block of Parmesan cheese (rather than grated) and shredding it yourself with a grater or microplane; the pre-grated varieties do not have the same taste or texture and usually have additives and fillers.
How to Make Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
Cook the pasta: Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot.
Sauté the veggies: Heat olive oil or avocado oil on medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until aromatic. Add sliced mushrooms and zucchini and cook. Stir occasionally and cook for 8-12 minutes, or until the veggies are soft.
Add seasonings: Season with dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Stir in lemon juice and white wine. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add baby spinach and let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it wilts.
Stir in cheese and pasta: Turn off the heat. Stir in ricotta cheese. Add pasta and mix well to combine. Top with shredded parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Easy storage and heating makes this recipe an ideal make-ahead, meal prep option! To store, simply place the pasta in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can heat it up on a skillet or microwave whenever you're reading to eat. I prefer the skillet option and letting the pasta get a little crispy!
Variations and Substitutions
- Make it vegan: To make this recipe vegan, omit the ricotta and parmesan cheese.
- Make it gluten-free: To make this recipe gluten-free, swap out the regular pasta for your favorite gluten-free variety.
- Add a protein source: Feel free to add a protein source to this dish! It would go great with broiled shrimp or grilled chicken.
What to Serve Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
Serve this zucchini mushroom pasta alongside a flavorful salad like this roasted butternut squash kale salad or this easy chopped spinach caprese salad. Or if you're not in the mood for salad, this pasta dish goes so well with veggie sides likes these smashed brussels sprouts or pesto cauliflower.
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! Don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @thebalancedbite on Instagram. Follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for more healthy & tasty recipes!
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes?
Not exactly pasta, but these spaghetti squash recipes are so good:
Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
- 6 ounces dry pasta I used cavatappi
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Juice and zest from ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil on medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until aromatic. Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-12 minutes, or until soft.
- Season with dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Stir in lemon juice and white wine. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add baby spinach and let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it wilts.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in ricotta cheese. Add pasta. Top with parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin this for later!