Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
This roasted butternut squash and kale salad is the epitome of fall in a salad and combines the goodness of kale, butternut squash, roasted chickpeas, mushrooms, apples, pecans and pumpkin seeds. I mean, what’s more FALL than that?!
For the Salad:
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾" cubes
- 14.5 oz (1 can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided (+1 tsp for kale)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp thyme
- salt (to taste)
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (½ lemon, squeezed)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds or pecans (or both)
- 1 tbsp goat cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored and sliced
For the Maple Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
For the salad:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Toss cubed butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, cinnamon, and salt. Spread out on baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until soft and golden. Flip halfway through.
Toss chickpeas with ½ tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, and salt. Spread out on half of the other baking sheet. Toss mushrooms with ½ tablespoon olive oil, thyme, and salt. Spread out on the other half of the second baking sheet.
Roast the chickpeas for 20 minutes or until crispy. Roast mushrooms for 12 minutes
Massage kale with 1 tsp olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl.
In the bowl, add butternut squash, chickpeas, mushrooms, pecans, pumpkin seeds, goat cheese, and sliced apples and mix in with kale.
For the maple lemon vinaigrette:
Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, and salt.
Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and mix well.