Easy Shakshuka for One
Shakshuka, or eggs poached in tomato sauce, is an easy and delicious dish that can be served for breakfast or brunch (but is just as delicious for lunch and dinner).
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced When cutting the bell pepper, slice two rings before dicing the rest of the pepper.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 7 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes (½ can)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
Heat extra-virgin olive oil on medium heat in a small skillet or pan. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes or until onions start to soften.
Add peppers and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Add the fire-roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and bell pepper rings and cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer.
Turn the heat down to low. Place the eggs in the bell pepper rings, cover the pan, and simmer for 5-6 minutes (or until the eggs are at your desired consistency).