This easy recipe for margherita flatbread pizza takes 15 minutes to make. Instead of traditional pizza dough, you can use pita bread or naan to make these personal flatbread pizzas!
Since my college years, I have been trying to make quick and easy healthy dinners. This margherita flatbread pizza is no exception! It’s a wonderful use of pantry staples to make a quick personal-pan style flatbread pizza.
What is flatbread pizza?
Flatbread pizza is made with flatbread instead of a traditional pizza dough. In this instance, you can use pita or naan as your “flatbread.” It’s a great way to make a quicker and easier “pizza” rather than the traditional method.
What is margherita pizza?
Margherita pizza is a traditional Neopolitan (Naples-style) pizza. It is usually made with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, salt, extra-virgin olive oil, and fresh basil.
Margherita pizza is absolutely my favorite kind of pizza because it emphasizes fresh, good quality ingredients, and tastes incredible.
Ingredients in Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- Whole wheat pita or naan: I typically have whole wheat pita on hand more than naan, but this flatbread pizza is equally delicious with either.
- Marinara or pizza sauce: Pizza sauces tend to be thicker than marinara. If you can, use a thicker sauce so that the flatbread does not get soggy.
- Garlic: It’s not 100% necessary to add garlic, but I feel like it adds so much flavor!
- Fresh mozzarella: Feel free to substitute with shredded mozzarella if that’s all you have, but I find that these flatbread pizzas taste so much better with fresh mozzarella. I buy the pre-sliced varieties so that they’re easier to use.
- Beef-steak tomatoes: You can use other tomatoes, but these are so easy to slice thinly.
- Fresh basil: Ahh, the finishing touch. Adding fresh basil to the baked margherita flatbread gives it a pop of color and flavor. If you can, use fresh basil instead of dried.
How to Make Margherita Flatbread Pizza
This margherita flatbread pizza comes together in 15 minutes or less!
- First, preheat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare your tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Thinly slice the tomatoes. Peel and mince the garlic. Chiffonade the basil: stack the basil leaves on top of each other, roll into a tube, and then slice into thin ribbons.
- Assemble the margherita flatbread pizzas:
- Spread marinara or pizza sauce evenly on each pita or naan.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the sauce.
- Top with the fresh mozzarella cheese slices.
- Add the sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The cheese should be melted, and the flatbread should be slightly crispy. Remove from the oven.
- Top with the basil ribbons, and cut into slices to serve. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Flatbread Pizza
If you’re looking for what to serve with your margherita flatbread pizza, look no further! It would taste amazing with:
- A hearty roasted chickpea & kale salad
- Roasted cauliflower with spinach basil pesto
- A light and fresh peach avocado salad
- Roasted garlic smashed brussels sprouts
Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pitas or naan
- ½ cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella ⅓-½ inches thick
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoon basil, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Top pita with marinara, minced garlic, fresh mozzarella, and tomato slices.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with basil.
Pin this for later!