This mango pico de gallo is a fresh salsa packed with the delicious flavors of mango, tomatoes, red onions, lime juice, and cilantro.
If you love the flavor and taste of mango, you'll love this recipe! This mango pico de gallo recipe is a fruitier, sweeter version of the traditional pico de gallo. It combines with red onion, lime juice, cilantro, and salt to give you a sweet, zesty, fresh salsa.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de gallo is a traditional salsa often used in Mexican cuisine. It's also known as 'salsa fresca' or 'salsa cruda.' The translation of 'pico de gallo' is literally 'beak of rooster.' There have been speculations on whether this is because the serrano peppers traditionally used in pico de gallo resemble a rooster's beak or because people would eat it by pinching their thumb and forefingers together - resembling a rooster's beak. Whatever the reason, pico de gallo is nevertheless absolutely delicious!
Traditional pico de gallo recipes use fresh, raw ingredients diced finely. It is usually made with fresh tomatoes, onions, Serrano peppers, lime, cilantro, and salt.
There are plenty of pico de gallo recipes out there, but I thought it would be fun to create a mango pico de gallo variation.
- Mango: Fresh, ripe mango has such a delicious, naturally sweet flavor in this pico de gallo recipe.
- Tomatoes: I think roma or kumato tomatoes are best in this recipe.
- Red onion: I prefer the taste of red onion instead of white/yellow onion, but you can swap those varieties in if you prefer.
- Jalapenos (optional): If you like more spice in your salsa, add jalapeno.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed (rather than packaged) lime juice is best in this recipe.
- Cilantro: Since cilantro leaves and stems both impart a strong flavor, feel free to use both.
- Salt: Add salt to the recipe per your preference.
How to Make Mango Pico de Gallo
First, finely chop the ingredients: mango (making sure to avoid the pit), tomatoes, red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro. Juice a lime. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Salt to taste. If you have time, allow for the pico de gallo to sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to infuse with each other.
- A ripe mango is essential in this recipe. First of all, it tastes sweeter and the texture is much more ideal than an unripe mango.
- How to tell if a mango is ripe: To tell if a mango is ripe, squeeze gently. If it feels slightly soft, it is likely ripe and ready to use. If is firm, allow it to ripen for an additional 1-2 days.
- How to cut a mango: This is a helpful step-by-step video showing you how to cut a mango.
Variations and Substitutions
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free, so no changes are needed on that front. Here are some helpful variations:
- Spice it up: If you like some spice, add jalapeno. To prepare, remove the ribs (white part) and seeds - these contain a lot of spice, so you can include a little if you like it really spicy! Dice the desired amount of jalapeno and add it to the mango pico de gallo.
- Use frozen mango if you don't have fresh: If you can't find any fresh mango, or would just prefer to use frozen mango, that's just as good of an option. Just make sure to thaw the frozen mango in the fridge overnight. Dice the mango into smaller pieces, and then include it with the rest of the ingredients.
What to Serve with Mango Pico de Gallo
I love this mango pico de gallo and would add it to every dish if I could, but the most delicious ways to enjoy it include:
- Loaded on top of these fish tacos
- In this Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl (a little bit of sweetness goes a long way!)
- Topped onto nachos
- With tortilla chips
- Served on top of a nice, flaky white fish or salmon
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! Don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @thebalancedbite on Instagram. Follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for more healthy & tasty recipes!
More Healthy Fruit Recipes:
- Peach Avocado Salad
- Raspberry Chia Jam
- Cranberry Apple Orange Sauce
- Easy English Muffin French Toast with Raspberry Sauce
- Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
Mango Pico de Gallo
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes (kumato or roma), diced
- ¼ medium red onion, diced
- ½ medium jalapeno, white ribbing and seeds removed, diced (optional)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno (optional), lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt - add more if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin this for later!