Fish tacos with mango salsa pack a flavor punch with spicy flaky fish and sweet mango salsa. This recipe is delicious and healthy, and comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Tacos are a great vehicle for flavor and nutrients! It’s so much fun to experiment with taco recipes and add whatever toppings sound good at the moment (and what I actually have on hand!). I love these fish tacos with mango salsa because they taste so tropical and delicious and brighten up the spiced flaky fish. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Mango Salsa for Fish
Mango salsa is an absolutely delicious topping for fish, especially for fish tacos. It adds a sweetness and brightness to the fish. And who doesn’t want a little sweetness in their lives?
To make the mango salsa, first dice the mango. If you don’t know to how to cut a mango, this is a super helpful guide on cutting mango! In a large bowl, combine mango, diced red onion, lime juice, chopped cilantro, and salt. Mix well to combine.
How to Make Fish Tacos at Home
Making fish tacos at home is actually quite simple! First, if you are using frozen whitefish, make sure your fish is completely thawed. I find that pollock or cod work best for this recipe. Pat it dry with a paper towel. This allows seasoning to stick to the fish better.
Create the spice mixture in a small bowl by mixing together lime juice, chile lime seasoning, and smoked paprika. Spread this mixture evenly among all the fish filets, and make sure go get both sides of the fish.
Add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium heat. Add the fish filets and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. The fish should be flaky and opaque when done. Remove from heat. Break the fish into smaller pieces with a fork.
While the fish is cooking, char the tortillas by holding them over an open flame using tongs for a few seconds on each side.
Now it’s time to assemble the fish tacos with mango salsa!
Top the tortillas with fish, mango salsa, shredded red cabbage, sliced avocado, and cilantro. Squeeze any remaining lime juice over each taco for some added citrus!
Are fish tacos healthy?
White fish like pollock and cod contain many nutrients and are very high in protein. A 3-ounce portion of cod has over 15 grams of protein. Cod is also a great source of vitamin B12 and phosphorus. Vitamin B12 is essential to keeping the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy.
While fish tacos served at a restaurant or taco stand often make them with deep-fried fish, these fish tacos with mango salsa are a light and healthy version that is still delicious!
What goes with fish tacos?
Fish tacos with mango salsa are delicious on their own, but they’re even more fun paired with:
- a side of guacamole
- chips and fresh salsa
- rice and beans
Variations and Substitions
This recipe is pescatarian and dairy-free. If you would like to make it gluten-free, simply substitute the tortillas with gluten-free corn tortillas or other gluten-free varieties.
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! Don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @thebalancedbite on Instagram so I can see your delicious creations. Feel free to follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for other tasty recipes!
More Easy Taco Recipes
Chile Lime Fish
- 4 4-ounce pieces of whitefish (cod or pollock), thawed if needed and patted dry
- ½ medium lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons chile lime seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- ¼ medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 4 8-inch whole wheat or flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine and mix lime juice, chile lime seasoning, and smoked paprika.
- Spread spice mixture evenly onto fish filets. Flip over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side as well.
- Heat a large skillet. Add cooking spray or olive oil. Add fish, cooking for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and break fish apart into smaller pieces.
- Make the mango salsa: In a large bowl, combine mango, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Char tortillas on the stove-top for a few seconds per side.
- Assemble the tacos: Top tortillas with fish, mango salsa, shredded red cabbage, sliced avocado, and cilantro. Squeeze any remaining lime juice over each taco for some added citrus!
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin this for later!