Say hello to your new favorite comfort bowl – a creamy vegan hummus pasta! This cozy dish is easy to make and is as delicious as it is nutritious!
If you’re looking for a creative way to make a healthy creamy pasta sauce, I’ve got you covered! This hummus pasta is filled with protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Hummus is a staple in our house, and for good reason! Hummus is a delicious and healthy plant-based spread made primarily with chickpeas and tahini. It’s a great snack when paired with veggies or crackers and I also love using it in a variety of dishes. Because hummus is so creamy, I love adding it to pasta and making a delicious, creamy, plant-based pasta sauce. Yum!
How to Make Hummus Pasta
From start to finish, this hummus pasta recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and only uses 7 main ingredients. Now, that’s a win-win!
- First, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the linguine according to package directions or for about 8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain the linguine in a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, start sauteing the garlic and veggies. In a large pan, heat olive oil and add minced garlic, chopped bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the hummus and lemon juice. See my tips below for tips on how much hummus to add. Add pasta water in increments of ⅓ cup until it reaches your ideal consistency. Stir in spinach and let it wilt down for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the linguine and coat it with the hummus pasta sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls and enjoy!
- Store the leftover hummus pasta in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Don’t forget to salt your pasta water! Salt adds so much flavor to your pasta. Without it, the pasta will taste bland no matter how delicious this hummus pasta sauce is!
- To thicken your hummus pasta sauce, stir in more hummus. I recommend starting with a base of ¾ cup of hummus and adding more one spoonful at a time. I generally add somewhere between ¾ cup to 1 cup of hummus when I make this recipe.
- To thin your pasta sauce, add more pasta water. Mix in the pasta water ⅓ cup at a time until you reach the consistency you’re looking for. For reference, I usually use ⅔ cup of pasta water in this recipe.
Variations and Substitutions
- Make it vegan: This recipe is already vegan, so you don’t have to substitute anything!
- Make it gluten-free: To make this hummus pasta gluten-free, simply swap the linguine with a gluten-free pasta, such as brown rice pasta.
- Add a protein source: To make this dish more filling, add your favorite protein source. Grilled chicken or shrimp would be wonderful in this dish!
- Change up the veggies! You can really use whatever veggies you have on hand. This recipe would be super tasty with broccoli (think broccoli alfredo!) or with sliced mushrooms. Play around with different veggies and see what works for you.
- Make this a one-pot recipe: If you would rather not wash an extra pan, this recipe is easily customizable so that you only have use one pot! Just cook the pasta in a large pot (instead of a medium pot) and leave the pasta in a colander while you saute the veggies and make the hummus pasta sauce. Then stir in the pasta and voila, you’ve only used one pot!
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! Don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @thebalancedbite on Instagram. Follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for more healthy & tasty recipes!
More Healthy Vegetarian Recipes:
- Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Verdes
- Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash
- Kale and Mushroom Quinoa Bake
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- ¾ cup – 1 cup hummus
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the linguine according to package directions (about 8 minutes). Drain pasta in a colander, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water when draining.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt.
- Stir in hummus and lemon juice. Add pasta water in increments of ⅓ cup until it reaches your ideal consistency. Add spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add linguine and mix to coat the linguine in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Don’t have linguine? Don’t worry! You can use any pasta shape you choose.
- Add more hummus if you want a creamier sauce.
Pin this for later!