This easy recipe for caprese flatbread pizza is a must, especially when you need a quick dinner! These naan flatbread pizzas are topped with fresh mozzarella, juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, and drizzled with balsamic glaze for a quick, yet impressive meal.
Flatbread pizzas have become a staple in my house, especially when we’re in the mood for a quick dinner. These caprese flatbread pizzas take it one step further because they combine two of my favorite things: caprese salad and pizza!
What is flatbread pizza?
Flatbread pizza is made with flatbread instead of a traditional pizza dough. In this instance, you can use naan or pita bread as your “flatbread.” While definitely not the traditional way to make pizza, I find that flatbread pizzas are a fun, quick, and easy alternative.
What is caprese?
Caprese salad is traditional Italian salad. It is usually made with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, salt, extra-virgin olive oil, and fresh basil. It is often served with balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze in restaurants.
Caprese salad is absolutely delicious in the summertime when tomatoes are in season and taste their best! Caprese in both salad form and as a flatbread is so popular with my family because it tastes incredible and emphasizes fresh, good quality ingredients (and the secret is that the balsamic glaze is irresistible!).
Ingredients in Caprese Flatbread
- Naan or pita: The beauty of this flatbread is that you can use whatever you have on hand – naan or pita (homemade or store bought).
- Olive oil: Since there’s no sauce, the olive oil adds a nice touch to this flatbread.
- Garlic and sea salt: These two add so much flavor the the flatbread itself.
- Fresh mozzarella: Although you can substitute with shredded mozzarella, I find that these flatbread pizzas taste so much better with fresh mozzarella. You can buy the pre-sliced or pearl-sized version of fresh mozzarella at most grocery stores.
- Tomatoes: If possible, try to use heirloom tomatoes or farm-fresh tomatoes – they add so much flavor and a natural sweetness. Otherwise, feel free to swap with whatever tomatoes you have on hand.
- Fresh basil: Adding fresh basil to the baked caprese flatbread gives it a pop of color and flavor. If you can, use fresh basil instead of dried.
- Balsamic glaze: The finishing drizzle of balsamic glaze is what makes this recipe so amazing! It’s naturally sweet but acidic at the same time, and makes the recipe truly POP! You can buy your own or thicken reduce/thicken balsamic vinegar yourself (see recipe below for more details).
How to Make Caprese Flatbread
This caprese flatbread pizza comes together in 25 minutes or less (even less if you’re using pre-made balsamic glaze!
- First, preheat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the balsamic glaze. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepot. Heat on medium-high heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the vinegar thickens and is reduced (to about ¼ cup). It should be able to coat the back of a spoon. Let cool to thicken more.
- Prepare your tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Thinly slice the tomatoes. Peel and mince the garlic. Remove 5-6 basil leaves from the stem.
- Assemble the caprese flatbread pizzas:
- Brush olive oil over both pieces of naan or pita.
- Sprinkle salt and minced garlic on top.
- Add the sliced tomatoes.
- Top with the fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cheese should be melted, and the flatbread should be slightly crispy. Remove from the oven.
- Top with the basil ribbons and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Cut into slices to serve. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Flatbread Pizza
If you’re looking to add even more caprese flavors to your meal, serve this flatbread with a light and easy spinach caprese salad. Otherwise, this naan pizza would be delicious served with:
- Roasted cauliflower with spinach basil pesto
- A light and fresh peach avocado salad
- Roasted garlic smashed brussels sprouts
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation! Don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @thebalancedbite on Instagram. Follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for more healthy & tasty recipes!
More Easy Meatless Dinner Recipes:
- Margherita Flatbread Pizza
- Vegetable Orzo Soup
- Lentil & Feta Stuffed Peppers
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Verdes
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 naan breads (or pita)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella (pearl-sized)
- 5-6 basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepot. Heat on medium-high heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let simmer for ~20 minutes, or until the vinegar thickens and is reduced (to about ¼ cup). It should be able to coat the back of a spoon. Let cool to thicken more.
- Meanwhile, place the naan on the baking sheet. Brush olive oil over both pieces of naan. Top with salt and minced garlic. Add sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the naan is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Top with basil. Drizzle balsamic glaze over the flatbreads.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin this for later!