Welcome to Alena Menko - I’m so happy to have you here!
I’m Alena, a Registered Dietitian, self-proclaimed foodie, avid traveler, and the founder of Alena Menko Nutrition and Wellness.
As a dietitian with a passion for making healthy eating easy, I share simple recipes to inspire home cooking, evidence-based nutrition articles, and easily digestible nutrition tips.
My inspiration for cooking stems from being an Eastern European immigrant growing up in the States, and thus having an Eastern European mother cooking everything from scratch. And I mean everything - my mom would create homemade yogurt, kefir, farmer’s cheese and whatever other base we would use for meals. I was spoiled with delicious home cooking and didn't realize how lucky I was!
Fast forward to years later when I first moved to New York City and was going to grad school (ironically to become a dietitian), and my digestion, skin, body image, and mental clarity were all a mess. I yoyo’d from one extreme of eating to another, was eating most of my meals out, and felt so out of control.
Why am I telling you all of this?
Because I changed. I found balance.
I took all the information I learned in my nutrition program, coupled with more and more research I did on my own, honed my kitchen skills, and took back control of my life.
Through a lot of research and experimentation, I also learned what foods affect digestion and the gut. I found that the plant-forward approach to eating worked best for me. Basically that means incorporating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and plant-based foods into my diet (adding these foods in, not taking foods out).
And I’m here to help you do the same.
What you’ll find here:
- Healthy, quick, simple recipes
- How to spend (less) time in the kitchen and get what you need
- Evidence-based nutrition information
- Deep dive into nutrition trends
- A dash of realness
- A sprinkle of my life’s inspirations
Who is Alena?
Alena Kharlamenko, MS, RD, CDN, is a New York State Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist.
Her years performing as a dancer fueled her passion for nutrition and health. Alena loves to encourage a positive relationship with food and how to find that happy balance between delicious food and a healthy lifestyle.
In her free time she can be found at one of her favorite yoga/cycling studios, hiking the Hudson Valley, cooking up a storm in her kitchen, or diving into the vast culinary scene that makes up New York City.
- B.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics and B.A. in Dance, Western Michigan University
- M.S. in Clinical Nutrition, New York University
- Dietetic Internship & Clinical Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, affiliated with Cornell and Columbia
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist (CDN), New York State
- Certified Monash FODMAP-Trained Dietitian
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND)
- Dietetic Practice Groups (DPGs): Nutrition Entrepreneurs, Dietitians in Business and Communications, Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine, Food and Culinary Professionals, Medical Nutrition Practice Group
- New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (NYSAND)
- Outpatient Dietitian specializing in pediatrics, endocrinology, and diabetes
- Clinical Dietitian specializing in cardiology, medicine, and critical care
- Private Practice dietitian providing nutrition counseling
- Corporate Wellness presentations and events
- Clinical development and nutrition content for a digestive-focused meal delivery service
OK, enough about me!
I would love to hear from you! Send me an email at email@example.com with your thoughts, questions, and what you would love to see here!